Meet Cooper Beck Ball

Our sweet baby boy, Cooper Beck Ball, made his grand entrance into this world on February 3rd at 9pm, weighing 2610 grams // 5 lbs. 12 ounces and 46 cms // 18 inches. His first name is simply a name Jon and I decided we liked before he was even here to know about it. His middle name, Beck, was a nickname of my mom’s, Becky, who shared her birthday with Cooper’s due date. 

Today, while sitting next to my healthy, napping little guy (who according to his due date shouldn’t even be here yet) I’d like to tell you how grand, albeit scary, his entrance to the world was.

It was Tuesday, January 31st, and I was about to teach my last yoga class before I gave my pregnant self seven weeks off before baby came. Turns out, the little guy inside me had other plans for our day.

Walking off the tram, headed to yoga, my water broke. At first, prior to getting on the tram, I thought it was just a bit of pee and was praying you couldn’t see it through my grey yoga pants. But then, as I exited the tram, it became obvious that it was definitely more than pee. I called Jon in a panic, and I walked to my class and told them, with a ghost-white face, that I wouldn’t be teaching that day. I met my husband nearby who held me tight while I could barely breath through the tears, and off we went to the hospital.

A day filled with fear, sadness, and anxiety, somehow went by quickly. It turns out my water broke for no good reason (often times it is due to an infection), and the doctors were going to keep this baby in me as long as they could so he could continue cooking! They gave me a shot to boost baby’s lung growth and it needed 48 hours to work it’s magic.

The 48-hour goal kept me going. We called our families and messaged our friends, asking for their prayers, and my dad hopped on a flight to Switzerland to be with his baby girl and meet his new grandson whenever he decided to come. I have the best dad a girl could ask for.

Wednesday was smooth sailing. We were hanging out, doing fine, and the day came and quickly went. Thursday, I woke up to contractions, and the worry started all over again. But, they upped my dosage of the drug that was stopping labor, and all the contractions subsided. We made it to 48 hours! So the next goal was for Sunday, which marked 34 weeks, the ultimate goal being 35+ weeks.

My dad arrived that night and Jon says it was like a scene from a movie. He walked into the room, dropped his luggage while I stood up from my hospital bed and fumbled with my IV until we embraced in a crying hug. My husband and my dad were alongside my baby boy and I, and all was going to be OK.

Early Friday morning I woke up to a fever and a chest cold. I was so upset because I didn’t feel well…knowing that my fever could affect the baby, and I didn’t feel strong enough in the event that I would have to go into labor. I cried all over again for myself and for the baby. Man I didn’t know I had so many tears in me.

The baby’s heart rate was too high, so they sent me down to the delivery room to check if there was an infection of the womb. I called Jon, he called my dad, and they met me there shortly after. I was an emotional mess, and then Jon and my dad walked in. They both had smiles on their faces and were so excited that today was the day we were having a baby! Boy did that help lift my spirits.

There wasn’t an infection of the womb, so we had a decision to make; go back on the drug to continue to stop labor, though it may not work since my contractions had started again, or stay off the drug and let my body go into labor, even though he was only 33 weeks and 5 days. I listened to my gut and let the little guy take the lead. He wanted out and I didn’t want to risk getting weaker in the hospital. So we we’re having a baby!

I was able to have the natural labor I wanted (with some drugs ;), in a timely manner, as he wanted out! Yes, it was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced, but now that it’s over, I’d do it again in a heartbeat (though I’d like a few years to rest a bit). He came out crying loudly, a great sign, and Jon cut the cord. They immediately took him to be examined because of his premature age, which was the hardest part. I wanted to hold my baby in my arms. I didn’t get to hold him until the next day, but it was a small price to pay for the fact that he was very healthy, especially for his age and size.

Everything leading up to his birth was scary, but everything post-labor went as well as it could have. They released him from premature care 36 hours after birth, and he got to come stay with me in my hospital room. He had a bout of jaundice, but I guess it’s fairly normal in newborns, especially premature babies, so he hung out on a blue light for a day and was back in my arms shortly after.

After a total of nine days, we left the hospital as a healthy and happy family of three. I cried tears of joy when I walked outside with my baby wrapped in my arms, and with the father of my baby and my own father by my side.

Those nine days were a true roller coaster, filled with high highs and low lows, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. We were given one and a half more months to cuddle and cherish our little Cooper, and are even more grateful for his presence and good health.

And just like that, I’m officially a mom. We are parents. And in a matter of days, we’ve learned a whole new kind of love that we never could have imagined.

We are in for one wild ride.

Photos by Aly Aesch Photography

14 Responses

  1. Congratulations to you all! You are blessed and all is well. Wishing you continued good health, love and joy! Warm regards, Kat Muto

  2. Congratulations, Caitlin! I am so, so happy for you and Jon 🙂 I can’t imagine how it felt to go through what you did. Cooper is absolutely adorable!!! Hugs to you and Jon and, of course, baby Cooper! Hope to see you next time you are in the Bay!

  3. Congratulations, Caitlin and family! I am so glad Cooper arrived happy and healthy and I’m looking forward to more of his guest appearances on the blog. Thank you for sharing his birth story!

  4. Wow, what an amazing birth story Caitlin and I still can’t believe when I saw your post you’d had him just a couple weeks after we were talking about it at lunch in Zurich in Jan. So happy everything was okay and it like you said, it was definitely a story of ‘high highs, low lows.’ He’s so adorable and I love his name. Congrats to you and your family! That pic of you cuddling him is so precious.


    1. Thanks Dale! I know – it wasn’t long after I saw you that he decided to show up! Kinda crazy. All is well now – just not blogging as much as I thought I’d be able too as I’m sure you understand! 😉

  5. Such a beautiful and well-told story of little Cooper’s arrival! He is just beautiful and I’m beyond thankful that all of you are doing great! Your Dad is still glowing! ?
    Kathleen o

  6. Congratulations! Welcome to the world Cooper! I love your birth story. I’m so head you mentioned who took the photos as they are absolutely gorgeous.

  7. What a welcome for Cooper. He is absolutely precious. Cooper is pretty lucky to be born into such a loving family. Congratulations Mom and Dad!

  8. Hi Caitlin, what an emotional story. It is good that we have the pictures of your healthy baby to know in advance that everything went well otherwise it would have been a torture. I hope he is doing well now but it must have been the most horrible time of your life. Thank you for sharing. Not every birth is like a mail in the letterbox!

    1. Thanks Beatrice. He is doing really well now – no signs of a premature baby anymore!! No, no birth story is the same I found out!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Are you exhausted by all the restrictive diets, food guilt, and the never-ending quest to lose weight?

Learn the four steps to become an intuitive eater so you can finally…

Register now to watch the free on-demand training: How to Ditch Food Guilt + Body Shame to Gain Confidence + Feel FREE!

By signing up for my newsletter, you will receive this free workshop as a gift!